DIRECTOR, PROJECT MANAGEMENT OFFICE (PMO)
We have been retained by our client to identify and recruit a Director, Project Management Office (PMO). Our Client is a Canadian-based company developing a patented, environmentally friendly, energy self-sustaining, and economically attractive process to commercialize fusion energy. The Company has been recognized globally for its work in clean energy technology, and is a member of the Cleantech Global 100 (2014, 2015, 2016/17) as well as the recipient of numerous Canadian and international Cleantech awards. After over a decade of R&D, General Fusion is initiating a large-scale program for the construction of an integrated fusion prototype, and is developing the systems and procedures required for such a program.
This position will be located in Canada.The primary responsibilities of this position include:
- Establish the Project Management Office (PMO) responsible for all systems, tools, procedures, and processes for scheduling, tracking and risk assessment across all projects in the company.
- Work closely with senior management and project managers in Engineering, Operations and Research and Development in establishing the PMO to support this cutting-edge technology development project focused on developing commercially viable fusion power generation. Integrate the PMO with existing processes to support the anticipated growth in project scope as the technology development moves from R&D to commercial viability.
- Establish, define, and promote a best-in-class Project Management execution framework which is an actionable, process oriented and integrated, yet flexible, model that meets overall objectives
- Build and maintain a true partnership with project partners to integrate a consistent and effective approach to project execution, issue resolution and productivity.
- Challenge status quo approach to project execution and drive effective best-in-class execution processes, systems, and tools.
- Build procedures and processes to support resolution of complex project issues.
- Establish a Project Management Office (PMO) capable of managing and tracking the cost and schedule for a large-scale research and development project from pre-conceptual design all the way through to construction and commissioning.
- A minimum of fifteen to twenty years' experience in project management overseeing projects in aerospace, energy EPC, power OEMs, and/or DOE LLC's overseeing legacy nuclear cleanup facility construction or large Maintenance & Operations programs.
- Five years' experience with projects that have a high degree of complexity and multiple interfaces, ideally involving the management of engineering, procurement, fabrication, and/or construction associated with the delivery of products or facilities.
- Deep understanding of project management systems, tools, with the ability to implement sound project management policies and procedures to ensure that projects avoid risk and achieve a predictable outcome.
- Experience establishing and leading a PMO function within an organization.
- Strong influencing and relationship building skills at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated project management skills with understanding of the impacts that multiple areas and functions have on the successful outcome of a project. Functions include: engineering, procurement, construction, project controls, risk, quality, safety, etc.
- Strong project risk experience with the ability to identify risks to projects and implementing de-risking techniques to ensure a predictable and favorable outcome.
- Broad experience and expertise leading and managing full scope, complex project execution. (While this is a desired skill, our position will not have responsibility for overseeing projects or leading project managers. This is a skill that a successful candidate should have in their background)
- Detailed knowledge of all aspects of full-scope, turnkey EPC project execution (e.g., engineering, construction, project controls, startup & commissioning, etc.).
- Proven leader with the ability to lead via influence and motivate a team to achieve success.
- B.S. degree in Engineering, Physical Sciences, or a related discipline.
- PMI or related certification a plus.
Qualified, interested candidates may email or fax your resume to us:
Please indicate which position you are applying for by including full name of position. Your resume and all conversations will be held in strictest confidence. Thank you for your interest in CareerSMITH.
[Back to Current Opportunities]